Thursday, March 22, 2007

The Question Circle

The first stanza of this poem just popped into my head one day so I just sat down and started writing and writing and writing until this popped out. One of the critics I showed it to thought it was an allegory of human life. Another one thought it was nothing more than "free association bullsh#t". I'll leave it you you to decide what you may think it is. I had fun writing it and I hope you enjoy the reading.
-
The fractal below is called Cinteotl--I picked it because it was colored gold. Read the first line of the poem and you'll see why.


Have you seen the Golden Queen?
Tell me What and Who you've been.
Tell me of the Things you've Seen.
Then answer this--what does it mean?
-
And on your Journey did you gaze
Upon a Pool or Garden Maze
And traveled thence by Hidden Ways
On Paths your feet dare not retrace?
-
The Questions circle in a Dance
Ordained by Fate and Happenstance.
And you are summoned--not by chance
To Seek and Find this storied manse.
-
Winters, Summers, Spring and fall
Waiting here behind the Wall.
Their metronome a Siren's call
The Measure moving One and All.
-
Riddles wrapped in Rhyme and Song
Began a dance where none belong
To send the Dancers--weak and strong,
To places far--both right and wrong.
-
The dancers lost in Space and Thyme
Confounded by a Runic Rhyme
All await the Perfect Prime
But fear the Final Hour's chime.
-
What's the Key, and where's the Lock?
Whose the Hands to stop the Clock?
How can humans stand the shock?
Why live a Life that Fate will mock?
-
The Dancers circle up and back
--the Golden Queen's a Ruined Shack--
And all will Suffer for the Loack
As Lightnings flash and Thunders crack!
-
The Question Circle now Complete
You stand before the Judgement Seat.
Did you win through, or meat Defeat?
And is the ending, Sad or Sweet?
-
Now if you've guessed what this must mean
To all the Places that you've seen
And all the People you have been,
Say--have you seen the Golden Queen?

2 comments:

Running Water said...

The fractal reminds me of an old man with a beard looking through binoculars. I guess it means to me, Father Time, the all seeing one. Your poem speaks to me of rumination.

Fractals in any form are like pieces of puzzles to me. Although I think they are derived from mathematical formulas, or fractions, they all remind me of shards, perhaps of histories. I do so love the images and the colors, Bear, Von ahem, is that bourboun....old saltey sailor perhaps...that Venerable Ron creates.

Aiee (i.e.), Popeye the Sailor Man. Toot Toot!

:) --- Marshia K a/k/a Running Water - a Wisdom Fire Queen of the Honey BeezKness and Buzz-inees.

The Woman Formerly Known as Jenn said...

I remember the first time I read this poem, years ago. Loved it then, love it now. It seems to me something that should be the prologue of a really unique fantasy book :-)